Don't run with scissors

 One of the benefits of teaching preschool virtually is the reduction of worry for my students' safety. When we are in the classroom, I am monitoring, guiding, buffering, and diligently checking for the safety of my students... constantly. I am a mother hen counting her chicks over and over and over, ensuring no one has wandered off. When I see all my students in their neat little boxes on Zoom, I see them at their kitchen tables, in their living rooms, an adult nearby or sitting right there with them. There's no need for me to call out for the children to walk, not run, or to keep their hands to themselves, or not to throw that block. So as much as I ache for the mess and controlled chaos of my classroom, I recognize that the role of lifeguard has been lifted while my students are in their own homes. 

However, today during a lesson, the kiddos were delighting in watching two different genres of drumming, then sharing their noticings, comparisons, and. opinions (I like the big drums because they're really loud. The people were playing those long drums with their hands. Those guys had on funny hats while they played music...) I was scanning the squares on Zoom and to my horror, a lively student had scissors in her mouth! Blade first, hand on the handle opening and closing them! WHERE IS HER GROWNUP?! I hurried and unmuted myself so I could interrupt my teaching resident, fully in her groove of guiding this percussion discussion, and with a very rare, stern tone, said "H, Stop! Take those scissors OUT of your mouth. We do NOT put scissors in our mouths." She followed my instruction and just out of the frame I could see a grownup remove the scissors from her work area. We had a quick review of why scissors do not go near our mouths (or hair, or clothes, or pets...) and how we can safely use this tool, then got back to the college drumline and Senegalese Drum Band. 

Oy vey. 

Perhaps those scissors popped my virtual safety bubble today.... 

Comments

  1. Hi Lacey! As the mom of a four-year-old, I felt this slice with every fiber of my being. He's not in preschool this year, so I find that I'm the one teaching him all of those valuable life lessons like "rabbit ears up" when holding the scissors. Thankfully, he's more of a walk with the point out than a put them in his mouth kind of kid. (Alas, he's getting better with it.)

    Hope H is safer going forward. Good on you that you saw what was happening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! That is terrifying! Great modeling for your Teaching Resident - stopping the lesson, stopping the nonsense, and then, carrying on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often think about the same behaviors that I do not have to manage while virtual. I love your reference to us being "lifeguards". So perfect.
    I often wonder why the scissors are so appealing to our littles in the first place!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts