Irish soda bread from my guardian angel

S just dropped of a round loaf of Irish Soda Bread, in honor of Saint Patrick's Day. I couldn't remember what it was when she mentioned it over Zoom this morning, and I sort of imagined a simple white loaf. I just cut into it and ate way more than a serving, and I couldn't get enough of the scone-like texture, the crusty outside, the soft raisins... mmmm! Delicious! Irish Soda Bread home-delivery is only one of the endless reasons I am grateful for S, my Teaching Assistant by title, but truly a wonderful friend and guardian angel. 

I have had the pleasure of working this closely alongside S since the 2018-2019 school year, but met her during the 2016-2017 year. I am not a skilled enough wordsmith to accurately convey how lovely S is, so a little list for now may just skim the surface and suffice for this evening (the rest of my report card narratives are calling, and another serving of this bread...)

S is...

  • generous- she would give you the shirt off her back and I've never popped over to her home without being fed
  • thoughtful- she thinks thorugh things in a way that considers everyones' feelings, perspectives, and needs. She does this with our students when she sends them notes in the mail, includes well wishes to their families and siblings, and adds layers to our lessons that ensures inclusivity for the whole class. 
  • hilarious - S can often be quiet, giving airtime for others before herself, but oh goodness she has the best sense of humor. Everyone has that friend who is so sugar-sweet so it's make you roll with laughter when they say something slightly inappropriate or a little dark. It's unexpected when she busts out with it. I love it. 
  • creative- from designing projects to finessing recipes, her creativity shines. 
  • sweet
  • caring
  • charitable
  • considerate
  • fun
  • warmhearted

I am so very grateful to have a colleaugue and friend like her. And now back to another serving of Irish Soda Bread. Noms! 

Comments

  1. It is so fun to read this and know exactly who you are writing about! You must share this dear ode with her. She is very special - as are you! That bread sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years again I had the best soda bread I had ever tasted...I am searching for that taste again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world needs more people like your friend S! Thank you for sharing a little piece of her kind nature with us—if only you could also share some of that soda bread!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts