Little Neighborhood Libraries

There is so much joy in a stroll through the neighborhood

I will walk when it's cold and I have to bundle up

I may even go out when there's a drizzle or snow

But my heart sings with the sun beams

And there's no need for a jacket or boots

I am content just to walk and look

Sometimes I listen to a podcast

Often I use the time to call my bestie in CA

My neighborhood has resident chickens

And geese, deer, and dogs

Kids are out scooting, runners running

I love peeking into the many neighborhood book cupboards

What an enchanting concept!

Leave a book, take a book

Some neighbors put benches near their little free libraries

Kick back, take a load off, have a sit

I always look for Tom Robbins books

And when I find his work at a thrift store or yard sale

I scoop them up so I can leave them in these neighborhood libraries 

Today I saw a cupboard renovation

A scene in miniature, made only for the delight of it

As I stopped to admire and enjoy it

Across the street a couple with their stroller was doing the same

In this time of distance, of politely crossing the street to give space to your neighbor

It was beautiful to connect over this whimsical little design

Then another fellow popped onto his porch

He called to us in the street to let us know he was restocking the book cupboard

And inviting us to come have a gander later in the day

I must go check for a Tom Robbins novel


Thank you spring, for being a catalyst for connection

For inviting the neighbors to come out and say hello

We all appreciate you very much. 







It's a bit tricky to see, but there is a little scene set up with a table, chairs, 
and even a miniature book! Such a sweet little creation!

Some neighborhood deer hoping for a nibble in someone's garden


https://littlefreelibrary.org 

 

Comments

  1. Lacey, you address the idea of casual community so beautifully here. In your detail you capture the joy and essence of meandering through a neighborhood with the intention of interacting with the Little Neighborhood Library. You sum things up with this lovely line that made me smile, "Thank you spring, for being a catalyst for connection." I hope there are many more opportunities like this one in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thing! Maybe I can start that here. Thank you for a delightful post. Your happiness comes through so easily in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My granddaughter loves to look for these little 'cupboard libraries' as we walk the neighborhood. They are truly precious. I love how individualized they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the free little librarys! There is one on my walking route too. I peek inside and drop books in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what I love when the weather warms up! The whole neighborhood is out and about and it's nice to feel neighborly with just a quick wave as I rush by with my dog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts