Remember when...

Today I got to spend the day with my friend's daughter, Stella. She's ten going on thirty. As we were in the car today driving to the park she started playing the 'do you remember' game. 

Do you remember the first time we met when I was two and you put glitter all over my face?
Do you remember that time at the beach when we went out so far on the sandbar. It looked like we were miles away from the shore but we could still stand up?
Do you remember when we made up that game at the pool when we pretended we were crocafish? (crocodile fish hybrid)
Do you remember when we went camping and you and me and the girls went up the river on floaties and chanted 'lady power!' because we were so much better than the boys?
Do you remember when we were at the beach and we made candy sushi?

Stella is one of the most magical children I've ever known. She poses these deep, thoughtful questions that make clear that she takes in so many details of the world around her. She is so considerate of peoples' feelings, so when she asks you questions or shares a noticing, she does it softly and gently and sweetly. She loves to read and giggle over TikTok videos. She is a kitchen genius- the next top chef. 

Tonight we are capping off a great day together by making her big brother a double chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. She has cocoa powder shmeared on her nose and the kitchen smells like heaven. 

I met Stella long before I became a teacher and fell in love with early childhood education. I hadn't been around kids much at that time in my life, and when I met Stella, it cracked something open for me. I am forever grateful for her presence and can't wait to watch her continue to grow into a magnificent human. 
Now I better go eat some of this cake. 





 

Comments

  1. Wow, as a thirty-something who is unsure about wanting children, I know I would certainly want a daughter like Stella, a girl after my own heart. What a special glimpse of your relationship with her! I loved your slice's structure- a variation of Stella's words and your own- further showing the reader of Stella's amazingness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some of that cake! hahahaha Stella sounds delightful! I am so happy you are having such a great time together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts