When the motivation strikes

     Maybe it's the changing season, but once again I woke up before my alarm this morning. It was that in-between amount of time- I could get up and start my day, or enjoy forty more minutes of sleep, risking feeling less fresh from an alarm buzzing. I decided to pop out of bed, my mind already making a list of the extra work I could get done this morning, freeing myself a bit early at the end of the workday to get outside and bask in the 70 degree forecasted weather. I thought about the report card narratives I could start, or the handful of parent emails I could respond to, maybe even the feedback form for my teaching resident, or the prep work for my principal observation at the end of the week. I excitedly put on my robe and headed down to make coffee. 

I opened up the cupboard for a filter and noticed the shelf of tea boxes looking a little disheveled... ok ok while the coffee brews I'll just quickly pull the tea boxes down and set them straight. I pulled down the ten or so tea boxes, three of which were near-empty. It made sense to put those stray tea bags into a basket or dish together. I think a Tupperware will do... Open the neighboring cupboard for a Tupperware and oh my, those used to match up and be stacked so nicely, but here they are in a bit of a disarray, I better straighten that out. I set to work matching lids and containers, stacking them from large to small, tossing a few that were no longer a complete set. A stray container on a basket on top of the fridge caught my eye... hmm... is that up there from the holidays, a few forgotten pistachios lingering? What else is stacked on top of the fridge, I better take a quick look. Down comes the basket from up there and inside were several items that missed their homes, surely it best if I quickly return that lunchbox to its place in the pantry storage, that package of napkins can be used to restock the napkin holder then tossed, that apron doesn't belong up here, I will just tuck it into the laundry.... Oh right, my coffee! Pour some coffee and open the fridge to get my creamer. Hmm this sad blueberry container is only housing three wilted berries, I can quickly toss those in the compost and recycle this container. Open up the compost... whooooeeeee, that is full. I'll pop out to the garden quickly to empty it. I see a messy stack of shoes near the door. It won't hurt anything to pair those up and put them back on the shoe rack. Okay okay back inside for my coffee.... look at the time and oh! Where did my precious extra forty minutes go.... 

Comments

  1. Been there, done that, oh my! Your found time turned into gone time - but a sweet little tidying task no longer awaits. Hope you got out into the sunshine after school - fabulous day here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those little found moments add up, don’t they? Even though you didn’t follow your plan, it sounds like you were productive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts